Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Minor Annoyances

Since I bought my house I managed to get on a circular mailer for some company called RedPlum.  I'm not sure how I managed it, (or more likely how my wife managed it) but I wanted it to stop.  The internet (aka google) being the magnanimous place that it is saw to it that the first link was a winner but it went to a company page so I tried a few others just for good measure.

Shout out to to Blarn.com for being a kindred spirit and posting the unsubscribe link.  Anyhow if you are getting a mailer that wastes space in your refuse bin, do something about it!  It only takes a little time, and in the US they are Federally mandated to have an opt out.  The beauty of this set of laws is if they don't have an opt out you can file a complaint with your Attorney General who may not do much with one case, but will act if enough people complain.  They take action and companies are loathe to be the object of a State Attorney General's attention, as an added bonus the one time I submitted a complaint the office for my AG followed up and the company that I had a complaint against called me promptly.  It didn't fix what I was complaining about, but it did get them to move their asses.

5 comments:

  1. that's a major major nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gladly i haven't victim of that yet. But yeah, it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spam is the worst, especially irrelevant spam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like more than a minor annoyance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been getting RedPlum too, and had no idea how or why. Thanks for posting that unsubscribe link... that is an amazing life saver. I HATE all of the junk I get here. I get it for my wife's parents, my wife's brother, even her brother's best FRIEND (he gets credit card offers here. WTF right?).

    ReplyDelete