Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Fermented Beets

Damn those hipsters over New York for totally being on my pulse and posting an article on fermented beets!  So for all the shit I gave this Saveur blog the other day they are making some great looking food.

If you've ever had beets roasted or steamed you know how great they taste, and as far as I am concerned they are the best tasting root vegetable that I have ever had.  Combine the best root vegetable with a food preservation technique that is becoming my favorite and you have surefire recipe for delicious.  Also of considerable awesome appeal here is this gives me something to do with the left over whey from cheese making!  I was just thinking about making a ricotta for lasagna, the wife and I are freezing meals for when the kid arrives and if you go look Ricotta is crazy expensive relative to the other cheeses I buy at the store.  Semi-local Tillamook cheddar is only like $5-9 for the 2lb brick vs is almost $7 for a 32oz package of ricotta.  I haven't made all that much cheese since taking the class mostly because of the time commitment to produce relatively small batches of cheese it takes about as long as it take to make 5 gallons of extract brew beer.  Now that I've started brewing all grain the time comparison is blown out of the water, but when I first learned to make cheese I was not super interested in blowing an entire weekend day on the process.  This article made me excited about making ricotta though so hopefully I will have a good deal of leftover whey to make fermented beets this weekend.

Here is the video of the ricotta making that will inspire you to want to make it too!



The King of Ricotta: Salvatore Bklyn from SkeeterNYC on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:16 AM

    I don't think I ever had them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum i love ricotta... beets not so much.

    ReplyDelete