Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Violence against women

Not sure where to start on this, but it's been kicking around in the back of my head for way to long to not put it out there.  There is a staggering amount of video depicting violence against women in the world. The trouble is I'm not sure what to do with that thought.

It is a part of our human condition, it does need to be discussed and sometimes the best way to start a discussion is to graphically portray it such as the movie The Accused, but the images I'm talking about don't examine the cultural significance of this violence but rather just display the violence for consumption. The type of thing presented in the movie Irréversible which has the most disturbing and disturbingly long rape and murder scene I'm aware of in mainstream cinema.  Really don't go watch it, it is awful.  Even worse, is they did 3 takes of the scene all as one continuous shot.  It's disturbing the frequency this type of imagery is repeated again and again in cinema and music videos.



I'm not sure if I have a point, it's more a direction at this juncture. I'm going to work on making sure that I don't give money to anything that promotes or glorifies inflicting harm on women.

As a closing thought I'll offer you this video of The Cults, the ending to me suggests that director believes we choose the suffering we endure, and have as much a hand in it as those that inflict it on us do.

Cults - Abducted from David Altobelli on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment