Friday, April 06, 2012

F is for Forget self-improvement?

Lifehacker by way of Deliberatism.com posted an article about focusing on the small as a methodology for completing the large.  If you read the comments back and forth on the post (not lifehackers) you see quite a range of responses attacking the underlying dogma that you should enjoy the steps you are taking not just the outcome.  There is a focus on outcomes, and the accolades of having completed something (run a marathon, wrote a book, ect.) that undermines the joy in the small steps to get there.  A runner that actually enjoyed running (for themselves no other reward needed) and wanted to run a marathon as an extension of that.  A person that loved word play and used a novel as a vehicle for that.  Now enjoying the small doesn't mean that you might not suffer in these small steps, but rather you enjoyed the struggle as well as the outcome.

I realize this is a stretch for F, but this stupid thing has been in my drafts for longer than I like and I feel like there is some meat to this idea.  I'm not sure if there is a simple set of concrete steps for people to follow but it strongly reminds me of the sensation I walked away from when someone gave me a book about the 8 fold path.  I wish I could remember the name of the book, I sort of disregarded it at the time (I was a college kid handed a book by what I think was a Hare Krishna in an airport).  Any how I think the author's point was about right intention, and perusing things that will make you happy not impress others.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting article, nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A majority of life is spent waiting, so why not make use of all that time in the small steps to enjoy a little life? Great article, and that is some good meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you get pleasure during the steps then you will probably finish earlier and have more time to enjoy the outcome. That's my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the feeling of having a post sitting around waiting to be published

    ReplyDelete