Monday, July 30, 2012

Finished

I finally managed to get through that last bit of The Rise of the Meritocracy.  I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by the last pages and also sad by the implications.

I'm working on getting it all parsed out, and I have several current topics that are related to Venture Capitalism, and Feminism that are relevant to work on future blog posts for, but the first one will probably be just a broad summary of the book and what he wrote, vs how the word Meritocracy has come to be used in the current world conversation.  I think Michael Young was a pretty talented writer in the way that he laid out a path for transitioning from our current power system to a Meritocracy in very clear language, without being dull.  It may have helped that he had touchstones from the 1940's and 50's as jump off points and then got to make up the rest of what happened between then and 2030, but the way he wrote was really the standout.

1 comment:

  1. I'll admit this probably isn't a book I'd read on my own, but I'm intrigued by meritocracy, so I'm curious to see your dissection of it.

    ReplyDelete