Thursday, July 21, 2011

Drying Hops and Serendipity

Sometimes I am starting to feel like the internet is just completely playing a theme song for me.  My wife's coworker is growing hops this season but doesn't want to brew beer this year (he's making wine and all of this resources are tied up in that) but he wanted to establish some hop trellis for when he does get back into brewing beer.  He knew that I was brewing and offered me the crop at the end of the season which depending on how big the crop is could be quite a bit of savings for my brewing endeavors.

.

On average at my LBS 2oz of Hops is about $7, and depending on the brew you use more then one type of hop per beer. So you will use one as a bittering and another as an aroma so hops can add as much as little as $14 and considerably more if you choose to dry hop. Part of why the Mac and Jack's clone was so much was the recipe called for such high alpha acid hops that I had to adjust the volumes up to get the right AAU's and ended up with 3 packages of hops. Any way back to the serendipity of the internet, one of the blogs I follow The Mad Fermentationish just posted a pretty good bit of information on how to dry and store hops at home. So I didn't even have to go looking for this information, it just came to me via rss. Thanks Google.

7 comments:

  1. Google: You're Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool! following.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had more to say on beer, don't drink it myself but learning about how it's made was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done! really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never learned about how it was made, but it's interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Google is amazing

    Following

    ReplyDelete