Monday, August 29, 2011

Vanilla Bourbon Porter Update

The porter is not dead yet, and I don't see any funk floating on top of the beer yet so there may be hope for this beer yet. When I racked from primary to secondary I lost almost another gallon to all the grain that had settled out. I did my best to strain the left over grains and managed to get about 40 ounces into a growler that I will ferment and keep separate. The grain was boiled so it should be sterile and not introduce any of the natural Funk yeasts that live in the husks of grain. I put bourbon soaked oakchips in both of the containers and when I tasted the bourbon that was left over from soaking I finally learned what people are talking about when they say adding oak flavor. I may add some of that to the 4 gallon container, if the bourbon or oak flavors aren't strong enough for my liking, but it's going to be a wait and see.

I looked several places but couldn't find vanilla beans that where remotely reasonably priced so I will likely do extract for this batch. Given the way it is going I've decided to not waste anymore money on this batch so if the extract doesn't give it a nice flavor I'm not married to this batch anymore. I will give it a chance, but in my mind it can be poured out at anytime.

5 comments:

  1. It's always sux to watch progress go down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the end product will be worth this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Live and learn, I can only imagine how hard it is to brew something with how touchy it can be to just cook things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah! never waste anymore money :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to the PCC or whatever co-op is on 15th and check the bulk items for vanilla beans. That is how I got lucky making extract for Christmas one year. Way cheaper than the grocery store buy one vanilla bean at exorbitant prices.

    ReplyDelete