Monday, November 28, 2011

All Grain Attempt #1

Man this post has been sitting in drafts for a long while.

After trying several passes at the extract brewing process I decided to give all grain a try. After reading, and reading, and reading some more, I decided to forgo adding more brewing vessels (mash tun and lauter tun or a combo mash/lauter tun) and try the brew in a bag method. I knew I would be giving up a few points of efficiency (the % of sugar extracted from the grains) I figured that with enough effort I could eventually work my way up to around 80% efficiency as I have read reports of some people achieving 90% with the brew in a bag. I only did a single protein rest at 155° F for 45 minutes before pulling and squeezing the grain bag.  I tried to do a straight all grain version of the Mac & Jack's African Amber given it popularity so with the help of my local brew store I converted the recipe, bought some grains and gave it ago.

I cannot find my notes on this, and it was before I started using software to keep track of my efforts so I don't have much to go on here, but here is the recipe.

It came out ok, but was no where near as good as the extract version I brewed originally.  I imagine that a few things contributed to this.  I think my first all grain I was 68% efficient so there was probably a lot of unfermentable sugar left in the wort, and I don't think I dry hopped this one like I did the extract version which gave it a less floral nose.  The color was too pale for what I felt it should have been, but otherwise the beer was drinkable and I believe I'm down to only a few bottles left.

7 comments:

  1. Okay is better than terrible, right? That's pretty impressive that you're a brewer. Bryan does it too, and there's nothing more satisfying than drinking something handcrafted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Great, keep it up with updates on how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the end of the day, drinkable is what you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Mr. Shuffle, if it's drinkable it's a win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:45 PM

    Sounds interesting. Facebook Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really drinkable, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blog I liked you tech blog also

    ReplyDelete