Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Notification emails from Windows Live team

So like many users of the Windows Live services (hotmail, club.live, and .net passport) I have chosen not to be bothered by the promotional notices from the various product teams that I have singed up with to try out. I consistently and purposefully choose to not be a marketing target, because almost universally I don't care, nor will I buy what they are selling. Having to delete the messages just takes up my times (and back in the day the limited email space I was allocated). Today I got the following letter from Windows Live

Dear Windows Live User,

We are contacting you regarding your communication preference settings for Windows Live and MSN.

Currently, your settings do not allow Microsoft to send you promotional information or survey invitations about Windows Live and MSN. We would like to communicate important product updates to you, so if you would like to change your settings, please visit your account profile here to change your preferences.

Sincerely,
The Windows Live Team

Note: You can also change your Account settings by going to your browser and typing in: http://account.live.com. After logging-in to your account, look for 'Additional options' and click 'Marketing preferences'. Then uncheck the top preference box and click 'Save'.
Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052



I suppose that my consistent choice to opt out of communications wasn't clear enough for them. Do announcements about your settings count as unsolicited, and unwanted notices? It is not a product announcement so I cannot say it is spam per say, but it certainly feels like spam asking them to let them spam me.

No comments:

Post a Comment