Thursday, January 29, 2009

Makezine Blog is excellent

I cannot remember where I first heard about Make the O'reilly backed magazine for tinkerers, but I was excited about subscribing. The magazine started off pretty amazing, but after a few issues I noticed way too many Knitting and sewing projects. It was to my great delight that they made a zine that was dedicated to those type of "crafty" projects that didn't appeal to me as making anything. Still the zine suffers from the challenges of all print media, no linking, video or other interactive content. I subscribe to the zine still, but I think the blog is much better; especially lately. They seem to have hit their stride and attracted several great minds to there group and are now showing amazing incremental projects that can help get bigger projects going. The articles about variable power supply design for a breadboard, and articles on how to protect power supplies are they type of bootstrapping articles that can help people with an interest in electronics, but aren't sure where to start get started.

They have articles about how to pick a microcontroller and even how to get started in circuit design, in all none of this has been covered in the zine, and I don't know that it would be worth printing or nearly as good printed. The richness of the content on the blog is available to anyone and that is the way I think it should be, but the quality of the blog is starting to make the zine feel a little like fluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment