Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Holiday Beer

Nothing says holiday spirit better than beer am I right?

Yesterday my Dad and I bottled up my American Strong aged in a whiskey oak barrel.  Topping off at around 9% ABV and smelling (and tasting) strongly of whiskey I'd say this was an excellent showing for my brewing effort.  The side batch of 3ish gallons of lower gravity wort finished carbonating but the one we opened seemed a little flat to me.  I had almost 3x's as much corn sugar in this batch and it took off bubbling so fiercely that it bubbled out of my carboy before settling down.  I'm actually more concerned about bottle bombs more than I am about under carbonation.

So Solstice has come and gone, and that leaves me tapped out for pagan holidays for a while I suppose.  Sure theirs new years eve, which could be interpreted as pagan (or at the very least adopted as) but having a kid seems to suck the fun out of those types of celebrations.  Stay warm and merry, (if that's your thing).


2 comments:

  1. Warm and merry isn't really my thing, but brewing beer sure is. I'm still waiting for my own oak barrel so I can start my next batch, which should be coming in soon. So if your American Strong tastes of whiskey, is it similar in taste to, say, a Scottish Ale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I should try brewing my own beer. It probably wouldn't go too well.

    ReplyDelete